What is a discovery meeting?
Asking the important questions
One of the most important steps in the video production process is asking the right questions of the client.
In my case, I like to ask the following 10 questions:
1. Describe your brand in 30 seconds or less.
2. What is your value proposition?
3. Who are your customers? What do you know for certain about them?
4. What problem is your customer looking to solve?
5. Why is your product or service the solution they've been looking for?
6. If you could wave a magic wand and convince your customers of one thing, what would it be?
7. What are the must haves for this production?
8. What are the danger zones we must avoid?
9. What is the budget?
10. What is the timeline for delivery?
This list is by no means exhaustive, but it covers the main themes of the initial conversation(s).
My goal is to learn everything I need to know about you, your brand, and your customers in the most efficient way possible. As such, I normally send these questions out ahead of time so that our meeting is focused on the finer points of each answer.